REALITY: Intern (aka R|Intern)

a l'il yip yap about our internship. a l'il chit chat about our apprenternship. benefits of helping out students and entry-level folks. and just 'stuff'.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

SL Tip #5: on grammar & style

Say "irregardless" if you want Todd to cut you.
- Silver Lining

[disclaimer: there will be grammar/style items on my blog. i'm not posting to make a grade.]

make our day! say "i feel nauseous," and i can ensure that you will successfully unleash Todd's schadenfreude!!!

strunk & white, words you thought you knew ..., and the like ... we swim in these references. (also check this out.) we totally emphasize the importance of communications. when it comes to the spoken or written word (e.g., phone calls, eMails, memo reports, technical writing, presentations, cover letters, etc.), grammar & style are important ... always.

oh yeah ... vocabulary also is important.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm currently reading one of Shirley's reference books, The Elements of Business Writing by Gary Blake and Robert W. Bly. So far, I'm learning about organization, wording and phrasing, and tone of business writing.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shirley, I have a question. Is it proper to use Email, eMail, EMail, eMAIL, or emaiL? I have the answer: e-mail MUST be a hyphenated word ("Words You Thought You Knew"). However, I'm not sure where the capital letters should fall. Could you send me an E-Mail to clarify the usage-of-e-Mail situation?

1:50 PM  
Blogger shirlnutkin said...

tbcs - is their capitol letter in ee-mayl ... ?

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciated the clarification on flyer vs. flier from one of those links...I prefer the y. I think it looks better spelled like that, but I will follow the convention/suggestion for posting flyers and accumulating flier points. I recently asked some friends to post some flyers, and they would respond with the alternate spelling.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home