REALITY: Intern (aka R|Intern)

a l'il yip yap about our internship. a l'il chit chat about our apprenternship. benefits of helping out students and entry-level folks. and just 'stuff'.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

interns can be dogs!

PERSONALITY TESTS! Somewhere along one's career (or even outside of the workplace), we learn our personality - from a test - administered by an indifferent or paid 'professional' or both. Be prepared, as you may be asked to take a test. Beat 'em to the punch! Here are a few to start -

alphabet soup ... Myers-Briggs (based on Jung) - a person learns his/hers "four letters" - I/E, N/S, F/T, J/P ... generally defined as - introvert/extrovert, intuitive/sensing, feeling/thinking, judgement/perception. if you search on the web, there are many variants (like keirsey) of M-B.

rainbow ... Colors that can also provide insight to one's personality - blue, gold, green, orange. (by the way, i PURPOSELY made sure i put blue & gold next to each other - GO BEARS!).

dogs ... by the (Canine (A)lgorithmic (T)ransfer (S)ystem ... A well-kept secret (though not among some of our more recent interns and the loads of people to whom we have forwarded this test) ... dog breeds! Gone to the Dogs has a great personality test (see the "Game" link), which we use after week 1 of our 10-12 week internship program.

The downside of this on-line test is you don't get to see scroll through the different 'dog personalities'; take the test, and you'll see. The upside (which totally makes up for the downside) is that you gotta get others to take the test.

If you are wondering about how I have tested - ENFP ... Blue/Green (with the higher scores) and then Gold/Orange (with the lower scores) ... Czesky Terrier.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least for me, I think it's important to consider the context or environment with these personality tests. For Myers-Briggs, I am a borderline I-E (introvert or extrovert) depending on my situation. I find that at Cal Berkeley, I was very extroverted, while at work, I tend to be much more introverted. If you're an intern, it is good to be conscious of how you may act differently at work and see if it's to your benefit. I believe being more extroverted at work is more advantageous, so that is something I've been trying to change. What about school makes me so comfortable to express myself in an outgoing manner? What aspects of that environment can I bring or apply or seek out at work? Dogs can be really nasty or the sweetest ever. Your personality varies too. In a sense, take the assessment with a grain of salt. However, the test usually are rather telling. Have fun with the introspection!!

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home